DFW International's 2010 Progress Report
For immediate release
The complete report will be released online today, Feb. 8 at 5pm here:http://www.dfwinternational.org/resource_center/.
February 9, 2009
Anne Marie Weiss-Armush
DFW International Community Alliance
Press conference for new report by DFW Int'l - TWO HUNDRED TWENTY SIX Languages Spoken in the DFW Metroplex
Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2010
Flag Room, Dallas City Hall
On Feb. 9 DFW International Community Alliance will release their 2010 report in a press conference in Dallas City Hall: DFW International's 2010 Progress Report: a new and exciting image for North Texas.
Speakers will include: Mayor Carrie Gordon of Balch Springs; Amir Omar, Richardson City Councilman; Isaac Lasky, US Census; Suzanne Chen, Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce; Arturo Cuellar, Instituto de Mexicanos en el Exterior; Betru Gebregziabher, African Leadership Council; Anne Marie Weiss-Armush.
The report will present 43 pages of new data and graphics that indicate the growth of international populations in the 37 metropolitan cities.
Did you know
• that in 32% of our region's homes English is not the language spoken?
• that 226 languages are used in the North Texas area and that more than a third of those languages reflect African cultures?
• that in Irving, Dallas, and Garland the percent of residents that do not speak English at home is above 40%?
• that over one million New Americans moved to the metroplex during the past ten years?
• that 44% of DFW residents are New Americans ?
• that Plano is the city with the largest Asian presence?
• that Irving is the city with the largest percentage of internationals?
• that Farmers Branch is the city with the largest percentage of Latino residents?
The list of languages spoken in the metroplex is updated daily and can be viewed here:http://www.dfwinternational.org/demographics/languages.